INTERVIEWED BY:- Racktim Patar AND Prakhar Shrivastav
- What are your opinions and views about ABV-IIITM?
Well, I would like to say that this institute has got many good students with good coding skills which is very essential for us, since we hire software engineers. Apart from coding skills, students here have knowledge of big data architecture too which is also very important.
It has been two and a half years. And for me it’s all about hiring best engineers from prominent institutes like IITs NITs and IIITs. We always search for the best talents so that we can improve our websites and satisfy our customers.
- Where do you see IIITM in the near future?
Well, I can’t predict, because it all depends on the students. Ranking of the institute can only improve if you do something different and stand apart from other institutes.
- What are the qualities you look for in a student to be recruited?
Basic programming knowledge is essential. But more than that what is required is learning ability. If you have knowledge which is not refreshed now and then, it might not be of much use; but if you don’t know, say a language, but still can learn it, it is much better.
- How do you rate the competitors of your company?
Considering our websites, naukri.com has no notable competitor since we have 80% of the market in our hands. Sites like monsterindia.com are lagging far behind. Our matrimonial website jeevansathi.com is running pretty good but we have competition from shaadi.com and bharatmatrimonial.com. 99acres.com is also flourishing even if in tough competition with magicbrics.com and housing.com.
- Being the owners of prominent websites like naukri.com, shiksha.com etc., what do you believe is your success mantra?
I think our success mantra is innovation and adapting to new technology. For example, the internet traffic has shifted from desktop to mobile. So we have also introduced mobile apps of our websites which are a huge success.
- Where do you see your company in the coming 5 years?
Indian economy is undergoing a positive change after the coming in of the Modi government. This, itself is the confidence of every Indian. As the economy booms, more job opportunities will come and it will reflect in our products also.
- How do you think that your pressure handling capabilities have changed over time after joining the company?
Pressure handling has a direct link with work experience. Once you go up the ladder, it becomes easier to handle pressure and to come up with solutions. Being a beginner, you might ask for help from seniors and friends but once you gain experience you begin to handle things by yourself.
- Do you prefer to have experienced employees or fresher’s?
For successful functioning of a firm, a balance of both is required. But having more experienced people can turn the pyramid of employees upside down, i.e. lots of people to handle and very less people to be handled.
- It is often seen that students with good knowledge in information technology often get low GPA due to curriculum or other such reasons. So what do you prefer, their talent or higher GPA of another student?
About the reason of low GPA being the curriculum, I’ll say that students have to go through it before choosing their college itself. But we not only look for GPA, we also compare it with their 10th and 12th standard board marks. If all the scores are below average, there is no scope of the person being a good performer.
- Can you share any experience of yours which always put a smile on your face, thinking of it?
During my post-graduation days, we used to collect funds from cooperatives and used it to deposit school fees of underprivileged children. I always cherish it as a wonderful experience.
- What have you found in our institute that sets us apart, something like a tagline for our institute?
Whenever we come, we find birds and other wildlife around which cannot be found in any other place. Today itself I came to see a peahen with its ten children around it. Such kind of natural beauty is not so common in other technology institutes.
Behind the camera-Komaturi Avinash